I have thought about having kids all my life. I think about what I want to teach them, what I want to instill in them. I want to teach them all the things that I was taught and not taught when I was being raised. I want them to be the best kind of people. I don’t want them to go through what I had to go through in life.
Below are some of the things I want to teach my kids when I have them someday.
- The mirror lies.
- If they make you cry anything but happy tears, they’re not worth it. This goes for your friend’s, your partner/s, anybody really.
- If you decide you prefer the opposite sex, I will not care, nor will I love you any less. Love is love.
- Your heart will get broken — but it will heal, too.
- “Beautiful people do beautiful things.” Make that your motto.
- Learn how to say, “NO”.
- I’ve always got your back.
- Being smart, kind and honest trumps “sexy”, “hot” and “pretty” any day.
- Always value people for their heart.
- Stand up for something that means a lot to you.
- You are more beautiful than you realize… honestly.
- Don’t let the ignorant and superficial opinions of others destroy your self-confidence.
- Stand up for what’s right.
- You don’t have to be religions, but be spiritual. Discover what you believe in.
- Don’t wish away time so things you want to happen will “hurry up.” There will be a time, sooner than you know, when you’ll want to set the clock back.
- Be blind to gender, race, religious beliefs and sexuality.
- If your date buys you dinner or takes you to the movies, you don’t owe him/her anything.
- Say “I love you” whenever you can.
- Keep marching to the beat of your own drum.
- Your bullies will be eating their words in a few years. It’s okay to prove people wrong… Especially when they doubt and/or ridicule you.
- Make a conscious effort to love yourself.
- Own your own body and remember that you make the rules. This goes for all things emotionally, physically, and romantically. Your body, your rules.
- You’re here for a reason, and you’re loved, too.
- Everything is going to be okay.
- Even when I’m gone, I’ll always be with you.